Neurontin is a medication that is able to help fight nerve pain brought on because of the herpes virus as well as shingles. However the drug has also been shown to work as a mood stabilizer. Just how important is this? Mood stabilizing effects are those that are able to create a greater sense of balance in a person. Here are some examples:
- The ability to control emotions better, meaning that a person won’t succumb to them as easily. This works well in cases where a person might have a problem with anxiety or some other severe emotional issue that comes up randomly. People who use Neurontin get the benefit of having it impact different chemicals as well as the nerves involved in causing seizures and specific forms of pain. But there is also a mood stabilizing effect that comes with this.
- The ability to feel calmer. Calmness is about being able to focus and have greater clarity. When a person has some form of chemical imbalance in the body then calmness can be hard to achieve. Due to the mood stabilizing effect of Neurontin a person can have an easier time getting themselves into the proper state of mind. This will lead to better relaxation and an easier time going through the day than before.
- Having an easier time getting things done. When a person isn’t able to control their moods, then this can lead to them having a hard time being as productive as they could be. When this happens they will struggle to get things done and this will only bring about stress and other anxiety related feelings. Neurontin’s ability to help stabilize a person’s mood helps to avoid this problem while at the same time creating a superior sense of comfort for a person.
Understand that this medication is mostly used in order to fight nerve pain caused by herpes or shingles. And most of the time a doctor will give it or for solely this purpose. However, there are times when if a drugs shows it has the ability to work in other ways effectively, then it’s in a doctor’s discretion to give it out for that other purpose. Only two criteria have to be met mainly in this case and these would be:
- The different purpose for the drug being used has to be really respond to the drug, and likely better than what a drug designed for that sole problem would.
- Use of the drug for a different purpose can’t put a person at an increased risk of side effects. If this is the case then the drug won’t be used.
Neurontin mood stabilizing effects are very real, but of course these effects aren’t going to be experienced in everyone the same way. Some will respond to it well in this way while others won’t. However, people who do use the drug for its core purpose can expect the additional benefit of mood stabilization to at least some degree.